Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Externsteine-"The Stonehenge of Germany"

Externsteine in Winter-January 2013



In January this year, I visited the Externsteine Rocks in Horn Bad Meinburg, Germany. I've been drawn to this place since I saw a photo of this place, on the internet. I only got to climb one of the ancient astronomical observatories. The one in the left Rock in the photo. As it was Winter, the other observatory was closed, it was only open in the warmer months. It was a very powerful and moving experience that hearken back to my ancestral roots, of which I am quarter blood German. Although I identify as Lithuanian, my German part is still Indo European so there's many similarities between the tribes.

Externsteine has had a long history of use through out time, some of it is still unknown to this day. In modern history, 

I travelled all day on 3 different trains, with my good friend, Sandi, from Paris to Horn Bad MeinburgI After a whole day travelling, we arrived at night in the cold snow and caught a taxi to the hotel. The hotel was very good and all the staff were very friendly. After several saunas and swims in the heated pool the night we slept well to wake up to a Winter wonderland with deers foraging near our window. I felt today was going to be a special day!

It was a beautiful walk to the Rocks! Everything was covered in snow and walking was slow, constantly distracted by the glistening Trees. It really was a pretty sight! It was only 20 minutes before we caught our first glimpse of the Rocks! I was speechless!

The Rocks mesmerized me as I walked to them! 
We walked around the frozen lake and, like a moth to a flame, I made a beeline to the Rocks! 
I could feel them hum with energy.


I was greeted by a small bird who lived in the caves and fluttered about like he was happy to see me!








The stairs were beckoning me to climb to the top of the Rock and I convinced Sandi to defy her vertigo to climb with me! :) It was a slow climb as the stairs were icy and covered in snow but the views were fantastic!




The Sun broke through the clouds while we were at the top! Wow! What a blessing!

Sandi was a little shaken but so proud of herself for overcoming her fear of heights and so was I!
Sandi went off exploring on her own as I sized up the other Rock only to find that I could only go so far and there was a locked gate. I was very disappointed! I got plenty of photos of the viewing platform as best as I could from the ground.
I was in awe of these sacred Rocks! I felt as though they were old friends who had wisdom beyond my understanding. Even though it was cold and snowy, I could feel their inner warmth and strength, and I was deeply humbled to these mighty ancient rocks! I did a mediation and said some prayers and thanked the Rocks for the lesson in this whole experience. They showed me the strength in the old ways and that they will endure all time just like the life of these Rocks have endured!

It was a very moving day that seemed to energise me, ready for more adventure on this pilgrimage.


No comments:

Post a Comment