Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Vilnius, Kaziuko Muge 2013

Vilnius, Kaziuko Muge 2013 

Kazimeras Fair

Kazuiko muge is the largest market of hand made crafts in Eastern Europe and people come from all over to shop till you drop. Wood carvings, iron crosses, woven textiles of all kinds, smoked meats,fish, eels and cheese. For Lithuanians, it is seen as a place to buy something to show national pride in the crafts.


Kazuiko Muge marks the official beginning of Spring and is named after Lithuanias only saint, Kazimeras.




The Vilnius verbas were very pretty and wish I could take a few home but I doubt that they would get through customs.













There was some interesting metal works. This was a barbecue with it's own smoker.



There were lots of stalls selling smoked Eels and other meats.



There were quite a few jewelers who made reproductions from jewelry found in archaeological digs. I had to buy some, I mean, lots.

There were a few funny woodwork and ceramic pieces.
Wood carvings were amazingly well done

Some of the ladies in our group for the parade.

The Iron Wolf is always a big hit because of the tale.


Even the Hare Krishnas came out to sing and dance
I was honoured to help carry Kalvelis, the Smith God, who forged the Sun and threw her into the sky according to Lithuanian mythology.



I was wearing a reproduction of a 6th century outfit worn by my Samogitian ancestors. It was a very proud day for me!






You can see me briefy on this youtube clip around 3 minutes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment