Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Discovering the Spirit of Romuva-Setting up your altar and your own holy places

Many people who adhere to an earth tradition usually have an altar space in their home. For most, an altar is a special place that is reserved for many things like meditation, seasonal observances, offerings to the deities and to the ancestors There are many different styles of altars that are fashioned depending on the tradition followed and the individual's needs. Some people include objects representing the 4 elements, deities that they work with and photos or dear objects of the ancestors.

The Romuvos altar is a certain type of altar which has some special representations, which i believe opens up a special kind of connection that is a unique expression of Baltic Lithuanian traditions and customs.

Photos of deceased loved ones and ancestors(left), Kausas(wooden ladle) in right, various bowls for offerings and jug for Fire Rite.

The location of the traditional Lithuanian home altar is generally in and around the hearth. It is here that people believed that the Goddess resides. Gabija is a household Goddess of cooked grain, particularly bread. People honoured her because without the Fire of Gabija, the family wouldn't have their daily bread, warmth and light on the long dark Winter nights. Gabija is the guardian of the sacred Fire. It is through her holy fire of Goddess Gabija that we find a gateway through which giving us access to be able to relate with the ancestors, Gods and Goddesses. It is through the holy Fire that we give them our prayers and offerings. In the traditional Lithuanian household, it was usually the head woman who would normally bank up the hot coals and ashes each night so they can reignite the next day.

As most of us today do not use Fire in our kitchens and to heat our house. Fire has become less used and less important in the general household today. Most use electricity to have heating, cooking and lighting with the invention of electricity but this amazing element should never be forgotten about because without Fire we would never have survived till today, as a human race. 

So in order to create an altar we must create a sacred place for the holy Fire of Goddess Gabija to reside. This place can be a permanent altar in our home. This can be as simple as a candle holder or more elaborate like mine which is a little more traditional. A home altar is usually set up in a special corner of the house. I have also seen a small ornate iron fire pit used for weddings which are easily portable. An outdoor altar can be a simple fire pit or on a small pile of fixed rocks. Once you have created a special place for the holy Fire of Gabija. There are a few rules that I insist on, for anyone participating in my Sventes (Baltic festivals). The altar and the Fire should always be treated with solemn respect. It is forbidden for anyone to spit or urinate on the Fire or throw garbage in the Fire. Only offerings and prayers allowed. It is the Baltic custom that comes from the belief that if you do not respect Fire, She will not respect you and may even burn your house down or cause other calamities.

There are 2 types of Romuvos altars and I will explain the outdoor altar and then a typical Romuvos home altar.

The workplace of the outdoor portable altar is set up on a woven cloth that is laid out near the altar. On this woven cloth, the tools for giving offerings are set up in no particular order. There several wooden or ceramic bowls and baskets containing several bowls containing the various things like grains, amber dust, bread and aromatic herbs. There are also drinking vessels like a horn or a wooden ladle called a Kausas placed on the cloth along with vessels of mead, cold/warm tea and beer. After the Fire is made and the offering space is set up, the Fire Rite is ready to start.

In Lithuania drinking horns are commonly used in Fire Rites.

To set up in your home you set up bed for Gabija and assemble the same tools for offerings as you would for an outdoor altar but you can also include photos of ancestors and deceased loved ones along with images and symbols of various Goddesses and Gods that you align with or work with. Most Lithuanian home altars have a wooden sash hanger and a rack for a woven towel with represent the Goddess Laima who weaves our fate. It can be a holy place for daily meditation, prayers and offerings of thanks to the ancestors and Baltic Gods and Goddesses.

My home altar is adorned with many wood carvings (Jurate,Dievas,Spindle representing Saule,Zemyna),and other various symbols of the Lithuanian Deities. (drum and fly-foot cross-Perkunas,sash and woven towel-Laima

You'll notice my bed for the Fire of Gabija is made up of 3 rocks representing the 3 levels of existence.(Underworld,realm of the living and the realm of our Deities). 

There are also other sacred places that Lithuanian Romuvos pray to their Deities. In Lithuania, these places include Rocks, Trees, Rivers, Lakes, castle mounts and other high places on top of hills. Where I live in Australia, there are many Aboriginal sacred places. I don't feel right meditating and praying in these places because I don't feel that it is culturally appropriate and I don't want to unsettle any local Aboriginal Spirits or deities. I believe that they could attack you psychically and cause mental anguish and even health problems. 

So how did I find my own sacred places? I planted an Oak tree in my backyard where I regularly pray to Perkunas the Thunderer. I have place a male and a female standing stones in my garden where I meditate for strength and wisdom. There are a few sacred places on rivers and at waterfalls that I have found over the years, where the local Spirits have welcomed me to their special places. These are places at Kangaroo Valley and certain random places like at a particular beach, mountain top, Rock or Tree. I can feel if the spirits welcome my presence and I can meditate with ease. I can even feel the Spirits presence and their energy. It can be a quite interesting experience. If I am unwelcome, i feel nauseous and can't concentrate so i just move away from the area. 

Oak Tree

Standing stones are used to pray to Deities.
So this blog describes how to set up a Romuvos home altar and an outdoor altar anywhere in the world.  I encourage others to find their own sacred places that are respectful and appropriate to the local indigenous spirits and the indigenous perspective. It is in these created altars and the sacred places that the Deities, Ancestsors and Spirits commune with us and complete a kind of balance and harmony deep within our Soul.


We, as Romuvai aspire to be like the World Tree whose roots reach down to the past, the dead and the realm of the ancestors. 
The bees buzzing in a hive in the trunk represent the busy world of the present day hive community. 
The Deities of Earth and Sky, are like the branches reaching up to the sky,
from the past, the present and beyond the future. 
Perfect balance and perfect harmony,
 with all realms of all universes,
Past, Present and Future, 
This Harmony is one of the main goals,
 for a Romuvis to be constantly aspiring. 

I hope this post helps you to create your own sacred space for prayer and ritual. Feel free to comment and ask any questions.

6 comments:

  1. A great encouragement Steve
    Thanks once more
    John G

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful article! I very much enjoyed reading and seeing you sacred spaces. I am not Lithuanian myself (though my sister's husband is and her previous husband was Latvian and I've shared wonderful mead with them both). I am Irish, English, German and Hungarian as well as some other Northern European cultures. I am a polytheistic mostly honoring Celtic and Norse deities, The Ancestors, The Earth Mother and Nature Spirits, but when reading about Baltic culture a song about Saule spoke to me and I now honor her, Zemyna and Perkunas. I have a separate shrine for each culture and have a similar spinning wheel decoration as you from BalticShop: https://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=13495&cat=0230&title=Traditional_Lithuanian_Carvings with an Earth Mother statue sitting in front of it. I've also been eyeing that same sash. I love the dark jug to the right of your fire altar and the miniature spindle piece in front of the candle. I am very inspired by your three levels of stones representing the worlds and your oak tree is beautiful! Romuva and its practitioners continue to be an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy that you have found my blog helpful and inspiring! The path of Romuva-peace&Harmony is really rewarding in do many ways! I like that you have found your kulgrinda (hidden path under water) in the Norse and Celtic customs and world-view!!! I just have a request which I hope is taken in the kind and respectful intention of my request! I believe that in order to truly experience the power of any rite or ritual that it should be purely Norse,Celtic, Baltic. My reasons for doing this is to preserve the customs, maintaining respect for a particular country's indigenous tradition. I can participate in any rites or ritual. It is someone else's custom,I feel that it would lessen the power of the whole experience if I was to introduce my personal Baltic Gods and Goddesses in another person's custom. This is my personal experience and so I don't mix traditions. I'd encourage all adherents of the old ways to consider my words which are echoed from the, then Krivis of Romuva in Lithuania,Jonas Trinkunas.
      Goddess Laima bless your journey!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy that you have found my blog helpful and inspiring! The path of Romuva-peace&Harmony is really rewarding in do many ways! I like that you have found your kulgrinda (hidden path under water) in the Norse and Celtic customs and world-view!!! I just have a request which I hope is taken in the kind and respectful intention of my request! I believe that in order to truly experience the power of any rite or ritual that it should be purely Norse,Celtic, Baltic. My reasons for doing this is to preserve the customs, maintaining respect for a particular country's indigenous tradition. I can participate in any rites or ritual. It is someone else's custom,I feel that it would lessen the power of the whole experience if I was to introduce my personal Baltic Gods and Goddesses in another person's custom. This is my personal experience and so I don't mix traditions. I'd encourage all adherents of the old ways to consider my words which are echoed from the, then Krivis of Romuva in Lithuania,Jonas Trinkunas.
      Goddess Laima bless your journey!!

      Delete