Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Friday, February 4, 2011

"Earthly lessons of the Gods" Camping trip to Kangaroo valley 09 pt2


Saturday Next Day
I slept sooo well and woke at 11am to the sound of the River and Birds. Not a Human Soul around. I had some yummy Zucchini slice before going up to my private swimming hole. People just started arriving to swim in the main swimming hole. The track hasn't changed that much since the last time I was here and found my old tracks easily. This place is just so holy and truly sacred! I spent the day swimming, meditating, writing my journal and praying to my Gods. It was great! I fell so free.
Walking back to camp in the late afternoon, Medeina of the Forests, daughter of Zemynele (Dear Earth) led me to a gigantic Strangler Fig Tree that had heaps of ripe tasty figs. I ate as I gathered some for my dessert tonight. As I continued I met with a Guardian Spirit of this place, dwelling in a very interesting piece of Wood. I did some meditating and introduced myself to The Guardian. I had a feeling of fear but the Guardian already knew me and thanked me for my help in protecting this Holy place. Reverently I bid the Guardian farewell thinking that I must learn its Name. I returned to the camp and read a few Lithuanian short stories, had some dinner, ate my figs and fell asleep early. I must've needed it.

Sunday very very early morning
I woke up to total blackness, it was about 3am.I wasn't tired anymore so I walked down to the River with my pillow, sleeping bag, towel and soap and of course my Singing Bowl. I laid down on the Rock gazing upwards. The Stars did not put on such a great show as on Friday night. I thought to myself that perhaps Saule Mother Sun was closer than I thought. 

I watched as the small Stars slowly dwindled and  disappeared first, as if blushing in their Mothers Suns beauty, as she approached. A few of the brighter Stars were now fading away yet one remained. Venus I am sure, most beloved and beautiful daughter constantly eternally waiting for her dear Mother Saule Sun. The light increased so slowly, it was as if everything were in slow motion. The Birds were waking to sing their morning song from all directions different beautiful songs. I felt that it was time to strip off and sink into the tepid, gently flowing River. I washed and sat on a shallow rock just absorbing the glorious morning scene unfolding before me. I thought to myself of the belief that bathing in a flowing River before sunrise on Midsummers will make your skin beautiful, young and free of boils and blemishes all year. I wondered to myself "if any day is still good to do this ritual?"I feel that this experience is very powerful, cleansing and revitalising so this ritual does have real Power every day, to rejoice in the miracle of Sunrise with the rest of Nature. To do this every day would surely bring untold Joy and Peace. I got out of the River before any of the other campers got up. I dressed and packed my day pack with the necessary zucchini slice, spinach pie, books etc I made my way up to the swimming hole taking my time.

 I don't Bush walk these days, any more, I Bush wander,taking in every beautiful thing there is to see. Sometimes I really should be paying more attention to looking out for Snakes and Stinging Trees. I realised that I wasn't as fit as I used to be because my legs were aching so much from the walk to the Pool the day before. My legs were feeling like logs, aching and stiff. This did help to slow me down even more. I eventually made it to the swimming Hole. You must always take special care to watch every step on slippery Rocks and everything you hold onto could be rotting and fall away in your hands. The RainForest is full of rotting Trees and Vines and slippery Lichen covered Rocks. You have to be careful, especially on your own, there’s no help nearby or easy way back. Nursing a sprained or even broken ankle would be difficult if not impossible.

 Anyway I got to the Pool OK, stripped off and dived in. It was soooo refreshing. The Rock bottom of the pool was still clear of silt and leaves and felt nice to stand on. Looking up I can see that the Sun has not reached this part of the valley. I see big Black Cockatoos with bright yellow circles on their cheeks gliding in and out of the RainForest canopy, occassionally resting perched up up high on a branch. Their loud screeches echoed through the valley as if to calling to their Kin secret messages that I could not hear. I did some meditating with my Singing Bowl and said Prayers followed by some reading. I feel so at home here with the constant sound of the little waterfall slapping as the large droplets hit the Rock below, sending splinters like little pearls of water leaping into the pool. I could stay here forever!  

After a few hours I decided to continue onto the big Waterfall. There’ll be more Sun there I thought to myself. The track was still the same with some changes where Trees had fallen in raging Storms and blocked the path. There were the smaller swimming holes where I remembered each one that I swam in so many times before over the years. Eager to reach the Great Waterfall and its deep swimming Hole, I didn't stop to swim in these pools. I arrived to see the Waterfall as I have always remembered it in my heart. 

First things first I stripped off and plunged into the swimming hole at the base of the waterfall. It was soo refreshing, cool but not too cool. I feel so lucky to have found this place so long ago and grown up with this place as my spiritual home. Every major event in my life and this is where I come to get confirmation, direction and grounding. I got out of the pool and sat on a rock in the Sun to eat my lunch when I spied a baby Red Belly Black Snake no more than 40cms long. It was only a few metres away and was startled, (crapped myself really), jumped up and took a few steps back. He was looking between the rocks near the waterfall for Frogs I guess. I was mesmerized as he moved so gracefully and even looked like he was going to climb vertically up the Rock face. He came a bit too close to my clothes and bag and wondered what on Earth I was going to do if he climbed into my shoe or something? Standing there naked both entranced by the snakes grace of movement and terrified that I might lose sight of him. Knowing that he's probably not the only one from the nest and I was very cautious not to accidently tread on or near him which might scare him into biting me. I knew that I was not on his menu. He wouldn't bite me deliberately but that didn't change the fact that I was scared out of my wits. Where's his Mum by the way? Is she still in mating season? Crap!

I collected my clothes, got dressed, put my shoes on, always keeping an eye on my silent friend. I, very carefully and observantly walked away from the Waterfall and danger area, when I nearly stepped on another baby Red Belly Black. ”scared the crap” out of me!!!!I took a step back and it retreated into the shrubs. I took a few moments to compose myself and continued my way back to the safety of the first swimming hole. 

On the way back I felt a lump in my scalp and knew that I had a Tick. I tried to get it out but couldn't. I arrived back at the swimming hole, stripped off and about to dive in when I felt a tick trying to get into my right shoulder. I quickly ripped it off and threw it away. I went for a swim and then lathered myself in rid repellent.

 I am a good Pagan and love all Nature but have to confess to being a bit freaked out by now. Leeches, Mozzies and flies no problem but ticks and Red Belly Black Snakes? hmmm. I spent about 4 hours more at the swimming hole and was feeling a bit shaken, I could see my fears could stop me ever wanting to come back here. I surprised myself. So many years (24 years!) of coming  here never paying any mind to Snakes or Ticks. Yes, I know I can be a Drama Queen at times so tried to be rational. I said my good-byes to this beautiful place in case it truly is the last time I come. I thanked Upinis, God of Rivers, for the lessons that He taught me on this visit. Through meditations and connecting with the River, I was taught that I must always persevere if beautiful and great things are to happen. The way the Water constantly flows its gently over the hardest of Rocks. Forevermore patiently eroding and shaping Rocks, nourishing and sustaining all Life on its journey. The River has taught me to be the same and I vow to try to always remember this lesson, I thanked Him and left that place.

 I made my way slowly, my legs were really aching by now and not to mention keeping a cautious eye out for those Red belly Blacks. I saw some of the Black Cockatoos perched high and hoped that they were also keeping an eye out for me from their vantage spot. It might be a meal for them? I later realised that they are vegetarians and would not be interested in Snakes. I stopped by the Guardian Spirit and trying to understand why I just experienced what I did, I meditated and stilled myself. I felt the awesome energy of this Spirit and I was reassured that I was being protected in this place but to be part of this place was to connect to the web of natures life. My blood was needed for a mosquito, tick or leech in order to help to sustain life and harmony. This was my wish to be connected with the Gods/Goddesses and Spirits of nature of the Earth and the Universe wasn't it? I had to concur! :/

I arrived back at the camp site with a lot more profound respect for the nature and her Spirits of this place but I feel like I need to get some medical attention for these ticks before I get that so many that I get paralysed or something.

I packed up the camp site and bade farewell to the Gods and Spirits of this place. I promised that I will return. I thanked them for the lessons they taught. I have reconnected with my Gods and have learnt many things. I learnt that I don't need to fear or fight this next change in my life. Just like the transformation of the tadpole to the Frog. It's necessary, it's normal, it's noice! I don't need to fear anything because I am never alone. The Gods have blessed me and will continue to bless me if I never cease to strive for Harmony (Darna) with them. I have faith that I will find a new and better job and I will achieve Darna (Harmony) again soon.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my experiences on just one of my trips to Kangaroo Valley. Hit follow and leave a comment if you want more! ;) .

No comments:

Post a Comment