Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Fire Rite touched by Perkunas

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Prayer of the Palubenskaite sisters

In 1938, Pranas Antalkis recorded the following prayer, recited by Elzbieta and Marija Palubenskaite. Jonas Trinkunas, Seniunas and Krivis of the Vilnius Romuva in Lithuania, edited the text.

That I may love and respect my mother, father and old people; that I may protect their graves from rending and destruction; that I may plant oaks, junipers, wormwoods and silverweed for their rest in cemeteries. Those who do not love and respect their bearers will await hardship in their old age or will not grow old at all.

That my hands may never become bloody from human blood. That the blood of animals, fish or birds may not soil my hands, if I might kill them satiated and not hungry. Those who today kill animals with delight will tomorrow drink human blood. The more hunters live in Lithuania, the further fortune and a happy life escapes us.

That I may not fell a single tree without holy need; that I may not step on a blooming field; that I may always plant trees.

That I may love and respect Bread. If a crumb should accidentally fall, I will lift it, kiss it and apologize. If we all respect bread, there will be no starvation or hardship.
That I may never hurt anyone; that I may always give the correct change; that I may not mistakenly steal even the smallest coin. The Gods punish for offences.

That I may not denigrate foreign beliefs and may not poke fun at my own faith. The Gods look with grace upon those who plant trees along roads, in homesteads, at holy places, at crossroads, and by houses. If you wed, plant a wedding tree. If a child is born, plant a tree. If someone beloved dies, plant a tree for the Vele.
At all holidays, during all important events, visit trees. Prayers will attain holiness through trees of thanks.

I try to live this prayer in so many ways. 

I respect and honour our Ancestors at several times throughout the year by visiting graves, singing with the Sydney Lithuanian choir-"Daina", and just simple daily meditations as I look at photos and recount the lives of my loved ones that have passed over..

I have a great respect for our Elders as harbingers of a wealth of wisdom.I try to visit my Grandmother when I can.I endeavor to  assist Elderly Peoples.I consider all Peoples to be my Brothers and Sisters whom deserve my love,respect and care.I have respect for all life, human, plant, animal, Rock, Water, Sun, Moon, Stars etc

I honour food as a blessing from Zemynele dear Mother Earth. To let food go to waste is an insult to the Goddess that may bring bad Karma. If you don't respect the bounty of the Earth, the source of nourishment, then food might not come to you so easily.  Even mouldy bread can be given to the birds.

Harm none comes naturally as a Pagan and I try to maintain genuine honesty dealings with all people. I don't kill animals because I don't need to do this to survive. If I did have need to kill animals for survival, the animal would be killed humanely, blessed and thanked for giving itself for my nourishment. It's hard to be any other way when you also have faith in Karma.

All food and especially grains are considered a gift from the Gods and dare not disrespect the gifts lest the Gods take away. Honour Gabija, Guardian Goddess of Fire and the home hearth, She cooks the grains into bread, she keeps you warm and lights the way, on the long Winter nights. She is the divine promise that the Celestial Fire, the Sun Mother will return to make the crops grow, bloom and give us abundant harvest once again. Perkunas the Thunderer sends the rains. Dear Mother Earth nourishes sustains and roots all plants. It really is unthinkable to waste any food.

I accept peoples right to have their own Faith because for everyone, whatever heals you and makes sense to your own world view is fine by me. No one is right and no one is wrong, but my own Faith is perfect for me in every way and has my sincerest reverence and observance for the traditions and customs of my Ancestors. 


Even back then, Lithuanians understood the need for Religious tolerance was not only the right thing but was smart. When defending your country and way of life, the people living in the kingdom, of different faith, become allies and help in fighting for the same cause. The Battle of Zalgiris is a prime example. Christian Lithuanians, Catholics Poles, Pagan Lithuanians and Mongols. All came together to fight the German Teutons who refused to cease raids into their lands. The Teutons were decimated, never regained power! and Eastern Europe was finally secure in knowing that the threat from the Teutons was no more.


Trees are very honoured as dwelling places of the Souls and an intermediary for the realms of the Gods. Both the Upper worlds and the Under worlds. Trees have always, since childhood been a being of wonder and as a boy, loved to climb Trees. It is a nice tradition to plant Trees at important times in our lives just as it is important to just plant trees. I believe whole heartedly that planting Trees does increase your good Karma. Just ask the Greenies!


Understanding much of the Old Lithuanian worldview, Waters, Rocks and the High places on Hills and castle mounts, would be included here. It is at these places where the Gods can be accessed more easily. A whole chapter could be devoted to each of these sacred places. The places where water, Rock and Nature combine are especially powerful, like a vortex of power, it is very palpable.

Until next time
"Su dievu"
(Go with the Gods)

No comments:

Post a Comment